It was a fun project, and it had it’s moments, but was worthwhile. I’ve run out of enthusiasm to keep on working on the CBX250. It’s in good order now and can be ridden, just has a small oil leak. I couldn’t face any more weekends in the garage and Ange’s disapproving looks, so I listed it on Trademe a couple of weeks ago and it sold yesterday, being picked up and paid for today.
I hope the owner looks after it and get many years of coolness.
I had the day off work today so I took the CBX in to get re-registered.
It failed on non- certified indicators (No DOT, CE or AU/NZ standards on the Chinese LED’s), No rear foot pegs, and a binding front brake.
I rushed home and managed to find a couple of the stock indicators and then went to my Wellington Lawnmower dealers who also does scooters. He had a scooter that he was wrecking that had a couple, so I snaffled them. Came home fitted the indicators and rear foot-pegs (I already had them) and then stripped the front brake caliper. Cleaned up the pistons and re-assembled. The brake is crap now, but it doesn’t bind. Rushed back to the testing station and Voilà! Rego!
I fitted the clip-ons and bar end mirrors and re-fitted the LED indicators when I got home and took it for a spin to Jacks house. It is most excellent, very noisy and has much presence. Everyone looks at it!
Mission-accomplished for today.
Next I need to take to the rear mudguard with a jigsaw
The CBX exhausts arrived today, courier didn’t arrive until 7.30pm. Fitted them and they are quite loud! Just have to fit a reflector somewhere on the back of the bike then hopefully re-register tomorrow.
Headlight on, seat mounted properly, new clocks fitted and wired in. Managed to fit a start button from the R/H switch gear in the L/H switch gear that works as a horn button (I didn’t think that would work, but it does). Bought a Xenon headlight lamp for it today too. Just gotta modify the rear mudguard (that means cut most of it off with a jigsaw), fit the new tail light, chain guard, and new exhausts that should be delivered tomorrow. I gave it a FBR up the street and it went quite well, it’s very light weight.
I may even be able to get it road legal on Friday! Awesome!
OK people, RESULT! with the help of my beloved we got it all sorted today. I swapped out the loom for the spare I had, it appeared that someone had meddled with the loom that was on it. Also swapped out the LH handlebar switch assembly as the connections on that were messed with. With the new loom the engine cranked on the button, but no spark. Searched around with a multi meter for a while and found the ignition pick up was not connected properly, cleaned that up and voila, all good. We fitted the stock clocks and got them working, then removed them, figured out what wires went where and then wired in the new clocks. The new clocks have an LED turn signal, which stopped the issue with all the indicators flashing at once. All I need to do now is solder all the connections to the new clocks properly and heat shrink wrap them. I used as much of the cabling from the stock clocks so I retained the big multi plug so they are easy to remove in the future.
A most productive day today. Finally got my CBX250 project bike to a point where I could have a little go it. I’m very pleased with how it goes, seems pretty peppy for a 250. Thanks Ange for all your help with the wiring.
Engine successfully installed back in the frame. Dropped the tank and seat on, mmmm, some issues with fitting them. The tanks not so much of an issue, I think I can figure out how to fit it with a little welding and a hammer. The seat is a bigger issue. Might have to cut and remove a section of the cross member at the back then re-weld for structural integrity.
What a day! Had all sorts of issues with the new taper roller headset bearings. Had to go back to the stock ones in the end, but they are OK. To top it off I knocked the donor bike over onto Anges GSR750 and scratched frame and engine case. I’m very sorry Ange I will try and touch it up soon.
Something is up with swing-arm bushes, need to investigate next weekend. I’m gonna paint the engine and move it over next weekend as well. Starting to look alright now 🙂
I have new shocks on order, should be here next week. Still gotta work out what to do for a front mudguard and I need to shorten the stock rear guard. I have a new number plate holder and rear light on order too. Frame still need work to accept the new tank and seat as well. And then there’s the brakes and electrics….. not looking forward to the electrics.