I bought a 167FMM CG250 (233cc) Chinese copy engine. I’d like to use it in my recently completed silver CG125 but as the old CG125 is 6v with points ignition and the CG250 is 12v with electronic ignition I don’t much fancy changing the wiring harness and all the light bulbs. So I have been investigating swapping the crankshaft and cylinder, piston etc to some spare CG125 crankcases I have. The first issue is the crankcase cylinder opening size isn’t big enough to accept the larger cylinder liner, so today I set about boring the crankcases to accept the bigger liner.
And it lives I was beginning to despair. Turns out the wires from the stator were in really bad shape where they went through the grommet on the engine case. I cut them, soldered them back together and shrink wrapped them.
And this is what happens when you buy the wrong length spokes….Doh! Next time I will not try and measure an old spoke from an 18” rim and then guess what length I need for a 17” rim. The spoke supplier did tell me and even had a chart, but I didn’t think he was right. I now know he is correct. At least I learnt the correct assembly process this time…
I fancied a bit more bling so fitted a chrome carburetor. Changed the front sprocket to a 17 tooth as well. It will now do an indicated 120Km/h flat out . OK on the motorway cruising at 90-100Km/h now. The bigger sprocket was just what it needed. Not sure about all the yellow though. I will change the tubes and paint the choke lever black.
I got a new Inverter MIG welder for Christmas so today I completed the front mudguard. I’m a bit average at welding, but the angle grinder hides many sins. It definitely won’t come to bits though. Paint job is a bit average too, but I needed to get paint on it quickly before it started to rust. Might give it a repaint once the sun comes out.